Pages

Saturday, October 4, 2014

A Christmas Bonnet?

Since I have a sweater to knit that should have been done by the end of summer, I decided to work on something completely different.  (I will talk about that sweater in a future post, I just can't bear it right now.)  I figured I should get a jump on Christmas presents.  My sister-in-law, Jess, always looks fantastic in hats, so I figured that would be a good place to start.

Now Jess loves anything old-timey (is that a term?).  She is really in to Jane Austen books, Gone with the Wind, anything Titanic related - all that kind of stuff.  So I tried to keep that in mind as I decided what to do.  I picked out a couple of pretty colors from my stash and set to work.  This is the result:


It looks a bit more Easter bonnet-ish than I would have liked for a Christmas present, but I don't really know what I was expecting since I picked out 2 spring colors.  My brain must be subconsciously rejecting the onset of winter.  I do like the hat, though.  I might try to do it again in different colors, something more fitting for the occasion.

It's basically just a typical single crochet hat, but instead of doing a single crochet in each stitch, it is a single crochet, chain 1 in each chain 1 space.  And since you are skipping all the single crochet stitches, you are essentially only single crocheting half of the hat, the other half is chain 1's, so it gets done pretty quickly.  It also looks alot smoother and is less "holey" than a regular single crochet hat, but I don't think it has as much horizontal stretch.

It is made without joining the rounds for a seamless look.  I will avoid seamed hats at all cost.  I don't know why they bother me so much.  Every other article of clothing in the world has seams somewhere, but it just drives me crazy seeing that line run down the back of a crochet hat (even though non-crocheters claim they don't see it).  Since I already planned on putting a flower on this hat, I knew I could work it in a spiral , as the flower placement would cover the jog in the color change.  Anyway, I will stop jabbering on and get to the free pattern.

A Timeless Hat


Abbreviations:
SC - single crochet
CH - chain

Materials:
Less than 1 skein of Caron Simply Soft color Woodland Heather (color A)
Small amount of Caron Simply Soft color Victorian Rose (color B)
Size H 5mm crochet hook
Size I 5.5mm crochet hook
Size J 6mm crochet hook
Stitch marker
Yarn needle

Gauge: 6" across circle at end of round 15 (if you have a square at the end of this round, it should measure about 5-3/4" from side to side.  Also, see my post on how to make it a circle.)

Try to keep your chains loose, especially on the increase rounds, as it will help you get the hook in the right spot.

Child and Adult size
With color A and size "H" hook, Make a ring
Round 1: SC 8 into ring, do not join.  For the rest of the rounds, place your stitch marker in the first SC of each round so you know where the round begins.
Round 2: (SC, CH 1) in each SC around - 16 stitches
Round 3: (SC, CH 1) twice in CH 1 space, (SC, CH 1) once in next CH 1 space.  Repeat around - 24 stitches
Round 4: (SC, CH 1) twice in CH 1 space, (SC, CH 1) once in next 2 CH 1 spaces.  Repeat around - 32 stitches
Round 5: (SC, CH 1) twice in CH 1 space, (SC, CH 1) once in next 3 CH 1 spaces.  Repeat around - 40 stitches
Round 6: (SC, CH 1) twice in CH 1 space, (SC, CH 1) once in next 4 CH 1 spaces.  Repeat around - 48 stitches
Round 7: (SC, CH 1) twice in CH 1 space, (SC, CH 1) once in next CH 1 spaces.  Repeat around - 56 stitches
Round 8: (SC, CH 1) twice in CH 1 space, (SC, CH 1) once in next CH 1 spaces.  Repeat around - 64 stitches
Round 9: (SC, CH 1) twice in CH 1 space, (SC, CH 1) once in next CH 1 spaces.  Repeat around - 72 stitches
Round 10: (SC, CH 1) twice in CH 1 space, (SC, CH 1) once in next CH 1 spaces.  Repeat around - 80 stitches
Round 11: (SC, CH 1) twice in CH 1 space, (SC, CH 1) once in next CH 1 spaces.  Repeat around - 88 stitches
Round 12: (SC, CH 1) twice in CH 1 space, (SC, CH 1) once in next 10 CH 1 spaces.  Repeat around - 96 stitches.  If making an adult's size hat, stop here and continue to Adult Round 13 below
Rounds 13-25: (SC, CH 1) once in each CH 1 space around - 96 stitches
Rounds 26-31: Change to color B, (SC, CH 1) once in each CH 1 space around - 96 stitches
Round 32: Change back to color A, (SC, CH 1) once in each CH 1 space around - 96 stitches
Rounds 33-34: Switch to "I" size hook, (SC, CH 1) once in each CH 1 space around - 96 stitches
Rounds 35-39: Switch to "J" size hook, (SC, CH 1) once in each CH 1 space around - 96 stitches

Slip stitch into the next CH 1 space.  Fasten off and weave in those ends.  Attach your favorite button or flower to hide where the color change is apparent.

Adult
Round 13: (SC, CH 1) twice in CH 1 space, (SC, CH 1) once in next 11 CH 1 spaces.  Repeat around - 104 stitches
Round 14: (SC, CH 1) twice in CH 1 space, (SC, CH 1) once in next 12 CH 1 spaces.  Repeat around - 112 stitches
Round 15: (SC, CH 1) twice in CH 1 space, (SC, CH 1) once in next 13 CH 1 spaces.  Repeat around - 120 stitches
Rounds 16-31: (SC, CH 1) once in each CH 1 space around - 120 stitches
Rounds 32-37: Change to color B, (SC, CH 1) once in each CH 1 space around - 120 stitches
Round 38: Change back to color A, (SC, CH 1) once in each CH 1 space around - 120 stitches
Rounds 39-40: Switch to "I" size hook, (SC, CH 1) once in each CH 1 space around - 120 stitches
Rounds 41-45: Switch to "J" size hook, (SC, CH 1) once in each CH 1 space around - 120 stitches

Slip stitch into the next CH 1 space.  Fasten off and weave in those ends.  Attach your favorite button or flower to hide where the color change is apparent.





It really is a cute hat.  I think I might rip it back to do the child size for my niece in the spring.  I jokingly asked my son if he wanted it, to which I received the response "eew, that's a girl hat".  Can't argue with that.

28 comments:

  1. This is beautiful pattern. I have been looking for a nice tight stitch one just like it. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont quite understand what your saying with the single crochet, chain one. Do i single crochet in the stitch and then chain one and single crochet in next stitch?

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is VERY cute and looks easy enough! I, too, dislike the seam and in 40 years of crochet, have yet to see it look seamless. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this pattern, however, when using the hook sizes in the pattern, the hat comes out way too big. I never thought I crocheted very loosely. Could you tell me the gauge used for this pattern please? I'm thinking I need to change to a much smaller hook size to get it to come out to a "normal" sized hat. I sure would appreciate knowing the gauge you used so I could adjust accordingly. Many thanks,

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do crochet pretty tightly, so that might be the issue. I did not make a note of the gauge (oops) and already shipped the hat to arrive before Christmas. I will make up a gauge swatch, but please be patient with me as I am crazy busy for the next week (as we all are I'm sure). Happy Holidays!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Yes, I'm crazy busy between now and Christmas too. Is the top of the hat supposed to be a square? I changed to a size F hook and found the hat to still be too big in both diameter and depth. I do love the way yours looks in the picture though and wish I could get mine to turn out the same, dagnabit! Could you also, when you get a minute, give me the measurements of your hat, both circumference and depth, please. Thank you very much and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

      Sandy

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your patience, Sandy. I have figured out the gauge and updated the pattern. By the end of the increase rounds (round 15), you should have a 6 inch circle measured across the center. If you still can't get to that gauge, just stop your increase rounds when the circle is close to 6 inches. The stitch count doesn't matter in this pattern, so if you end up with 90 or 101 stitches it's OK, just so long as it fits. The Caron Simply Soft yarn is pretty thin for a worsted weight, so other yarns could certainly pose a gauge problem.

      The finished hat is about 7" tall. It should be about 6" (or right above your eyebrows) when you first change hook sizes. It fit just right on my 21-1/2" inch head.

      I have addressed your question about the square shape in a new post called "A note about hats" and I also put a link to it in the pattern.

      Delete
  6. Very nice hat! Wish I had found you earlier! I will keep you book marked & pin so I can start making spring hats. Have you tried cotton yarn? I know you are busy, so I will be patient for your reply. Thanks G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried cotton yarn in years. I tried it once and didn't like the feel of it - it seemed kinda sticky to me. It could have just been the kind I was using. I should try a different brand one of these days because people really seem to love cotton.

      Delete
  7. Please notify me of further comments, the button below didn't work for me, thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you say (SC, CH 1) twice in CH 1 space, (SC, CH 1) once in next CH 1 space., do you only mean work into the chain 1s from the previous row and skip the SCs? Because if I skip them I don't end up with 24 on round 3. To get 24 I need to wrk in every stitch. Thanks for the clarification, wording is confusing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct - you will only work into the chain spaces. For round 3 that you are talking about, you will put 4 stitches (SC, CH 1, SC, CH 1) into the chain space. Skip the single crochet, put 2 stitches (SC, CH 1) into the next chain space. Skip the next single crochet. And then 4 stitches again in the next chain space... The chains count as stitches in this pattern, so when you count your stitches for the round you will count all of the V's, not just the SC's that you made.
      Maybe try to think of it as the SC goes in the chain space, and the chain 1 counts for the single crochet that you are skipping. I hope that makes sense.

      Delete
    2. I recommend using a split ring stitch marker to mark your rows.. It is soooo easy to let your eyes glaze over going around and around.

      Delete
  9. When you say do not join in round 1, I am confused, does that mean no slip stitch and to just sc, ch1 into the first stitch from last row ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely right! Just continue on to the next stitch as though you weren't at the end of the round. (And you don't sound thick:)

      Delete
  10. Sorry to sound thick :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! I am making this for a friend undergoing chemo....using cotton yarn. I will try to remember to send you a photo of the finished project if it works out ok.

    ReplyDelete
  12. FYI.... To customize this hat for any size head:
    1. Measure the circumference of your head around your forehead with a measuring tape. (Eg: mine is small...20")
    2. Get the diameter of the circle by dividing your measurement by pi... 3.1416.
    For mine: 20 ÷ 3.1416 = 6.37. Since thats right between 6.25 and 6.5, I'll call it "a tad over 6"..;)

    3. Following the pattern for the increase rows, you can now choose what ever hook you like until you get to the right diameter. I like mine tight for this hat, but someone may like it a bit looserand so would choose a larger hook.

    Just follow the pattern sequences for the rest of the hat. Try it on periodically to see where you want the color switch to occur,and where the hook size increases for thr brim occurs.

    This is such a fantastic pattern! I chose to fold up one side of the brim and tacked the flower there for a real "Roaring 20's" look for my friend. Loved it so much now I am making one for myself! HAH!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started working the first few rounds and my hat is becoming square. Am I doing something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nevermind..I took it apart and redid it and it's fine now. I think I may have miscounted the beginning rows and ended up increasing in each v-stitch of the previous round.

      Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful pattern. I can't wait to see how mine turns out. Hopefully it'll fit my soon to be 3 yr old daughter. =)

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the post on how to make the piece round, not square. I, too, follow patterns exactly as they are written and would never have known that you could alternate the increases to make the circle. Now I know why all my hats have points on them!! I don't know how many times I've ripped them apart, changed hooks, used different size stitches, but nothing worked. This is genius!! I used the hook sizes called for in the pattern, but a thicker merino wool. I am going to try and felt it when I am done. I only reached round 10 before it measured 6" so I will adjust the pattern as I go to make it fit my own head. Thanks KarenP for how to scale it to fit. I'm so bad at math...:) AnnieC

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've redone the "brim" several times, but I can't get a good bell shape on it. I've used the hooks recommended and even loosened up my stitches a lot on that part, but it still won't "bell out" for me. I'm going to try some increases, but if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The rest of the hat is lovely, by the way. I love the texture of it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I understand this-how to stagger the increases, but I am a newbie, so why can't the pattern be written with the stagger- because I don't understand what is probably your clear explanation of how to stagger. thank you

    ReplyDelete